Although state divorce laws have provisions for dealing with issues such as financial support and dividing property, these laws generally apply to married couples or those in a state-sanctioned domestic partnership or civil union.

There’s nothing to prevent an unmarried couple from settling their differences on their own. If the breakup is relatively amicable, you can make a list of the assets you need to divide and mutually agree to an arrangement. If you’re able to do this, you should put your terms into a written property settlement agreement. You may also address financial support in your agreement as well.

If you have children, you will also need to decide child support, custody, and visitation issues. Even though you were never married. Both parents have an ongoing obligation to support their children.

If you need information on the possible legal effects of a tentative resolution, you can consult a lawyer for guidance.